Wednesday, October 17, 2007

If I ruled the world

In the early days of new parenthood, things like leaking breast milk, diapers that quit, and a chronic state of sleep-deprived dishevelment are good for building humility. Once leaving the house is an appealing option, you don't have to go very far or look too hard for opportunities to exclaim, "There's no dignity in motherhood!"

Take, for instance, the need to change your precious child's diaper. In many cases, public restrooms provide a diaper deck for this purpose, and although it's often situated awkwardly in the way of swinging doors or hand dryers, the thing is a godsend when you consider the alternative: the floor.

For almost two years, I have been disappointed repeatedly by business establishments, and by this I mean restaurants most specifically, who do not provide even counter space, much less a full-fledged diaper changing station, in their restrooms. And let me specify further: I am not talking about upscale places where a child's presence would be an oddity. I am talking about restaurants with family-friendly appeal, like a buffet, affordable prices, and a children's menu. Or, how about the restroom in the community center where we ate buckwheat pancakes last weekend (and where a daycare—full of children, I'm guessing—resides during the week)?

So, on the one day I didn't have my trusty, portable changing pad with me, and forced to choose between the way-too-disgusting floor or the out-of-order radiator, I chose the latter, apologized profusely to my son, and gave thanks that his security blanket was available as a makeshift pillow. That was the last straw.

I went home, visited the website of my favorite presidential candidate, and raised my voice for parents and children everywhere who are forced into the dignity-free zone of the ill-equipped public restroom.

Now I'm on a campaign of my own, to address this issue whenever I face it.

Restaurant owners:
If you know enough to offer my child a high chair or a booster seat so that he might eat your food in comfort, can you be forward-thinking enough to accommodate the eventual aftermath?

Presidential candidates: Want my vote next November? Mandate diaper decks.

No comments: